Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Road Rage

Why is it that traffic is so incredibly soul-crushing? Maybe it's the uncertainty regarding the cause of the issue and how long one's trip will now take. Perhaps it is the monotony of sitting and waiting, then moving forward by inches. Or it could be the frustration of the time that is being wasted. Whatever it is, I can't handle it. Traffic is my nemesis and one of my biggest fears. This is the reason I chose an apartment so close to my office. When the weather is nicer, if I can make myself get up early, I can even walk there. It takes me 5 minutes to get to work in the morning and 10 minutes to get back. But last night, it took me FIFTY MINUTES. Apparently there was a rally or protest of some kind outside of Parliament and so they rerouted the traffic. Unfortunately, I live a stone's throw away from the Parliament building. Basically I wanted to be on the wadi road and got rerouted to the jebel road, so I was perched above looking down to where I wanted to be. It was torture. In retrospect I guess it wasn't too bad --- I got home at 5pm instead of 4:10 -- that's still 1.5 hours earlier than I would ever get home in the U.S.! But seriously, traffic is the devil.

No comments:

Post a Comment